Feed Us!

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Why I am who I am.

If someone asked me why I believed what I do I would be happy to tell them:

Shortly before I turned two a very special person came into my life. Nathan Scott Baird was born, he had severe heart problems and in fact wasn't given more than two months to live. Throughout his life he went through more things then I can even begin to imagine, he was closer to God than I can ever hope to be. He always said thank you to the doctors and nurses that gave him shots or ran tests, through tears even. I can't remember a day that he wasn't smiling even when confined at home due to sickness. There wasn't a life that came in contact with him that he didn't touch. Nathan always loved fire trucks and had always dreamed of being a fireman, one day he got his chance. Some friends had decided to take him to a station and had worked out a tour and the opportunity to sit in the trucks and look around, when they got to the station it was discovered that they had gone to the wrong one and they knew nothing about the tour or the little boy standing in the reception area but a fireman decided he needed to show him around anyways. Not much longer after that the station had an old helmet restored and painted with Captain Nathan and designated truck #3 to be his truck. I can't remember how many times we got to go see the trucks and you can bet that Nathan knew all the sirens and he had his favorites too.

Nathan lived to see his seventh birthday on November 15, 1998 and only 25 days later on December 10 he passed away at home with family by his side. His last request had been to see a dear friend, he was seven and already thinking of others. Shortly before becoming sick and prior to his death he had taken the time to explain to his classmates that death wasn't the end, he would be ok, he'd get a good heart and he'd never be sick again. Only a few short weeks later his classmates would be able to comfort their teacher and in turn my family and me. He was treated as an honorary fireman and the streets were lined with police and the trucks draped in black, with sirens and lights we made our way to his resting place.

Nathan taught me so much about life, love, happyness, faith and God. I have been given a wonderful life with people that love me more than I know. Happyness is what you make it, a smile can change someone's life. And I have faith in a loving Heavenly Father that didn't take a little boy from this earth but gave this earth a little boy for seven years and twenty five days and allowed him to touch lives for a lifetime. I believe that this loving Father has a plan for each one of us and wants us home with him when our time is through. I know that should I follow his plan for me I will get to be with Nathan again, I will have my family around me for eternity.
The Christmas season may always be hard but my faith in God alows me to stand strong and my guardian angel gives me a reason to smile.
Merry Christmas!

















~Kylie Ann

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you for that. You have given us a gift.

Alishia said...

I have tears running down my face, and I didn't even have the opportunity to meet him. He sounds very special.